The Paper Mill which is East of Quebec has over 400 employees at his site, which comprises a Thermo-mechanical Pulp mill and 2 newsprint machines for an output production of 1000 MT/day. Average yearly temperature of this location is 4 C.
Paper Mill Site Overview
The complex (see picture 1) is composed of several large buildings heated with steam coils and many processes using high and low pressure steam. The high pressure steam is produced at the boiler house ( three (3) bunker C oil boilers and one (1) electrical boiler) and the low pressure steam is produced at the pulp mill department by a heat recover steam generator. Most of the steam is used to heat process.
The Energy Efficiency implemented solution has consisted of a group of energy reduction measures through all the plant. The targeted projects were mostly optimization of the existing equipments. The service contract was including details engineering, project management, configuration of a new optimization server, start-up, commissioning, training, system follow-up and fine tuning for a three year period. Partial list of the implemented projects;
- Retrofit of the two (2) paper machine hood heat recovery;
- Hot water heating system improvement,
- Real Time Energy Management for;
- Two (2) paper machine room heating (≈ 750,000 CFM );
- TMP steam generator optimization including height (8) refiners pressure control, non-condensable and condensate trims, load shedding during interruption of lines of refiner;
- Boiler’s trim control;
- Dryers cans steam system.
To ensure recurrent savings on a long term basis, the control approach was designed with EcoSuite real time energy management system to continuously model, track and maintain the lowest possible energy and utility service costs. The EcoSuite system allows to:
- Continuously control energy costs and the minimum achievable benchmarks or good practices for current production and ambient conditions;
- Identify at any time the internal consumers (departments) that are not meeting their prescribed benchmarks;
- For critical parameter, alarms are generated to quickly re-establish the required operating conditions that comply with the desired benchmarks;
- Develop baseline and benchmark (good practice) references;
- Daily HTML report available through LAN/WAN for management.
Sample of the results
This graph represents the steam production of low pressure steam at the TMP steam generator. An increase of 15% or 8 Gj/hr was achieved following the implementation of Real Time Energy Management (RTEM) at the generator.
Steam Produced at the Steam Generator
On demand contact firstname.lastname@example.org